Hi Christiano (nice first message... :)  )

First of all, lets define slow. What does slow mean? Have you tested it with
AB (apachebench)? You sure it is not your connection? Watched it in TOP? My
guess is that with 2.1.6 (straight) on that system you should be able to get
about 200 requests per second which is not SLOW at all.

Check your Apache, Proxycache and SiteAccess my guess it is there.

Turn off debugging.

Upgrade to 2.2.1 (60% faster on dual processors).

Take a look at

http://www.zope.org/Members/BwanaZulia/benchmarks.html to get an idea of
what you system should be doing.

Just some suggestions.