>&dtml-foo.[bar.dot].y

In all the computer languages I know there's already a convention for
solving this kind of problem.

        &dtml-foo.bar\.dot.y

But I prefer path-style identifiers:

        &dtml-/foo/bar\.dot/y

Then the correspondence to the site's folder structure is evident.
Plus you can support both relative and absolute paths without
confusing anybody:

        &dtml-foo/bar\.dot/y

Or, if y is a *property* of bar.dot,

        &dtml-foo/bar\.dot.y