On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Casey Duncan wrote:
> The fact that your external method returns a class instance explains why it
> fails where it does instead of in the dtml-let statement. It looks as though
> Zope is allowing the object to be returned, but balking when you try to
> access it. I think I will need to see exactly what your external method and
> the returned object are doing before I can try explaining this behavior.

In 2.2 the security model is tightened.  To use returned objects of
your special-purpose classes from dtml, you have to tell Zope that it is
OK to do so.  Check out Brian's new-security-model guide at

(I think he also has newer stuff in the security chapter of the book
but I haven't looked at it yet).

I think what you want to do is add

as a class variable to the class in your external method.  But read the
guide so you understand the security consquences of doing that.