Dieter,
Thanks for the information.  I created a test db file and followed the
zope external methods how-to, but when I went to create the
external method I received a syntax error.  Is there something
wrong with your syntax, or how I am doing it?  (Also, if my db file
was a semi-colon delimited file it looks like I would replace the ','
portion with ':' right?  I really must pick up a python book!)
Here is the code (.py file) and the test db file:

py file:
import string

        def importCommaSeparatedFile(testdb.db):
          """returns list of items in comma separated
file with name *filename*."""
          return
string.split(open(testdb.db).read(),',')

testdb.db file:

run,sean,dogs
walk,joe,cats
sprint,ted,camel