On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:15:44 -0400, mindlace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Andy McKay wrote:
>> Of course the only problem with a hit counter is that high traffic requests
>> mean continually writing the object into the ZODB each time it gets hit /
>> downloaded, whatever. Thats why I release FSCounter which uses the file
>> system. I would like to expand this to cover multiple objects...
>The problem is slightly more complicated than this:  We have Apache
>cache file and image objects.  This is a good thing, because they are
>static, and Apache will *always* be better than Zope at serving static
>content. This is a bad thing, because direct requests for files don't
>ever make it to Zope.

FYI, there is a (mostly successful) way around this if you dont worry
about Zope having to serve up a 304 response for this request..... set
the following header.

Cache-Control: public, s-maxage=0, proxy-revalidate

Caches will cache the content, but always revalidate it before using
the cached reply.

Toby Dickenson