Roland C. Reumerman writes:
 > Now it seems that somehow the combination of Zope-generated authenticated
 > headers and the firewall redirection rule do not match: does the header
 > include URL information? That would imply it tries to access
 > www.datadistilleries.com:8080/ddsn (Zope generated port) instead of plainly
 > www.datadistilleries.com:80/ddsn (firewall listen port).
I know, that basic authentication is sent by the browser on a
domain basis. I do not know, where the domain information originates,
but it may well be Zope.

You may want to use Shanes excellent "tcpwatch" utility to
analyse what really happens between the server and
your browser.

Alternatively, you may have a look at SiteAccess.
This Zope product helps you handle these forms
of redirection. Even, if your authentication problem
could be solved without it, you will soon hit
other problems that require SiteAccess.
Thus, go directly for it.

Dieter