Thanks. It appears, though, that there is no way to do this without
appending a query string to the redirected URL. Is this correct?

I'd like to be able to perform all authentication in Apache-land on the
SSL and, if successful, hand the request off the Zope. The thing is, I
still need to know who's actually authenticated once they readch
Zope-world and assinging REMOTE_USER to a request parameter doesn't make
me very comfortable.

Alas...