"Brad Clements" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm create a CSV file that I would like browsers to get the "save as"
> dialog when they select it.
> I'm using RESPONSE.write() to write out the CSV file, and I set the
> Content-Type before calling RESPONSE.write
> Netscape seems to work ok, it pops up a save box for "text/csv" and
> "application/vnd.ms-excel".
> However in both cases IE5.5 just ignores the data and re-requests the
> page.
> Does anyone know *all* the steps I need to take to get this to work
> correctly with IE? I must be doing something wrong. I want to supply a
> CSV file, but generated dynamically. I'm sure I'm missing a header
> setting or something.

FWIW, I recently had to support a customer in downloading files for
use by spreadsheet software. After a little investigating, especially
at the IETF web/FTP site, I discovered that there is no registered
MIME type "text/csv". Can anyone refute this?

There is a registered MIME type "text/tab-separated-values". Based on
something I read recently on the Zope site, it may be that if you set
the MIME type to application/vnd.ms-excel but send a tab separated
values file, excel will open it. I haven't tried this though.