I can pinpoint the problem a bit more.

select
relname, relowner, relpages, reltuples, relhasindex, relisshared, relkind,
relnatts, relchecks, reltriggers, relukeys, relfkeys, relrefs, relhaspkey,
relhasrules, relacl
from pg_class

works fine but

select reltype from pg_class
select relam from pg_class
select rellongrelid from pg_class

all cause problems and sometimes crash my instance of Zope!  These three
fields all have the type oid.  Apparently PoPy can't handle returned
values of this type.

Chris