OK. I guess I'm an abductee or something.  I've successfully checked out
and compiled Zope2 twice today on different machines.  There is only one
difference in what I did from what wasn't working for me on the weekend;
today I left off the -z7 option recommended on the Zope.org CVS_Info page.
Was this corrupting the download somehow?

Thanks for the response, Michel.

Chris