hi,
thanks for your help

i found the mistake:

> i work with postgreSQL 7.0.2, ZPyGreSQL and zope 2.2 on suse 7.0 linux
>
> for a identifier field adr_id:serial i want to automatically insert a
> new number max(adr_id)+1
>
> how can this be done in an insert into sql statement?
>
> i tried nextval('adr_adr_id_seq') but get an error message

i create the database and load it then with the command:
> copy adr from stdin using delimiters ','
with this command i also load my serial field. even that i load 14 rows
the currval stays on 1
so the two lines

> insert into adr (id) values (setval('adr_adr_id_seq',15));
> select currval('adr_adr_id_seq');

get the value to the right level.

olaf

--
soli-con Engineering Zanger
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Zanger Nusch
Lorrainestrasse 23
3013 Bern / Switzerland
Fon: +41-31-332 9782
Mob: +41-76-572 9782
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.soli-con.com
begin:vcard
n:Zanger;Olaf Marc
tel;cell:+41-76-572 9782
tel;work:+41-31-332 9782
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.soli-con.com
org:soli-con Engineering Zanger
adr:;;Lorrainestrasse 23;Bern;BE;3013;Switzerland
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Dipl.-Ing.
note;quoted-printable:IT-Consulting=0D=0AEmbedded Systems=0D=0AEnergy Systems=0D=0AOpen Source Solutions=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;-32176
fn:Olaf Zanger
end:vcard