I'm just a country boy raised on mashed potatoes and Zope 2.1.6.
The new security model up here in the bright lights/big city world
of Zope 2.2.4 has me all confused:-)

I have an external method that returns an object. I have a dtml method
that tries to reference an attribute of that object. The attempted
attribute reference causes the HTTP authenticate dialog to appear.
No username/password seems to appease it.

Here is the relevant part of the DTML:

<dtml-call "REQUEST.set('foo',testexternal(REQUEST,RESPONSE))">
<dtml-var "foo.X">

Here is the external method "testexternal":

class AClass:
        def __init__(self):
                self.X = 1
                self.Y = 2

def testexternal (self,REQUEST,RESPONSE):
        A = AClass()
        return A

Thanks in advance,
Sean McGrath