I had a similar problem quite some time ago.  I never could get a core
file to generate, but since the crash occured so often, I was able to
attach gdb (GNU debugger) to the process and was able to see the
segmentation violation that was occurring.  I never did figure out why
I couldn't get a core file generated.

-jjp