Why? I don't know, but here's what I did (still not 100% successfully so
user beware).

Use MySQLDA (a Zope Product) and MySQL-python (not a Zope Product, but a
helper python module). The most painless way to get them installed (on
Linux) is from RPMs at

There may be some other rpm dependencies such mysql-devel and python-devel
that if you don't have handy, you can find at http://www.rpmfind.net

Some follow-up threads that will likely contain critical information (some
reconstruction may be necessary if the following lengthy links are
word-wrapped in your email reader):

Your point about this being complicated is valid. I am on day three of
trying to make it work myself. The Howtos on http://www.zope.org are
out-of-date. Some Zope guru out there should cook up a current Howto for us
pathetic newbies (hint, hint).