We are planning a major update of our site (i.e. building a new one).  At
the moment our site is based on php,cgi, MySql and Apache on Linux.
However, for the new site, we are considering other 'platforms' like Zope or
Enhydra.  I find Zope an elegant solution for our new site because we will
be relying heavily on non-technical people contributing articles for
publication.  But the problem is this : the development will be made by a
small commercial firm (the guys who work there are friends) and they are
biased towards a java solution because they think this will be a standard
for the future.  They do not want to invest in learning Zope en end up in
not being able to sell their acquired knowledge in this.  I should note
that, at the moment, they have no experience in Java nor Python, so they
will have to learn one or the other.
The problem I will be facing is the maintenance of the site and adding new
What do you guys think ?  Does Zope have a future with respect to e.g.
Enhydra (this is Python versus Java for internet applications)?   Does
someone have experience with both and can you comment on the learning curve