This is curious to me - I tried this on my Linux platform from mysql and it
doesn't work.
Perhaps I misunderstand what you are trying to do:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM mytable - returns a number - so I really don't expect
it to work.

I have a table - shop and a column in that table - article:

mysql> select count(*) from show group by article;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'show group by
article' at line 1

Sorry if I misunderstand what you are trying to do -

Dave Woolston   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Digital Creations  www.digicool.com
(716) 262-4715