On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:51:01PM +0100, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:
> > I think probably Javascript is the 'cleanest' solution in this case,
> > but depending on the complexity of your UI another non-JS approach is
> > to make every link target the topmost frome (e.g., target="_top") and
> > redraw all frames in the frameset on each 'click'. This way you know
> > that all frames reflect the latest situation, but it can be annoying
> > to see the whole browser redraw every time you do anything. However,
> > if your browser doesn't *do* Javascript.... (so long as it does do
> > frames.... hmm.. how likely is that?) then it would at least work....
> There' s always the possibility that people disable javascript -
> and checking for instance http://www.guninski.com/browsers.html
> I would say they have reason to do so.
> My take is that one should at least provide a non-javascript alternative
> to browse the site. This also helps with search-engines....

The site I pointed to uses JavaScript to highlight your current position
in the site, by swapping images. The cross-frame js code is used to keep
the highlighting in sync with the content frame, even when using
hyperlinks that take you to a idfferent section of the site, or when you
are using your browsers history function.

When a visitor with JavaScript switched off visits the site, navigation
still works. Only the highlighting will cease to support visitors in
keeping tab on where in the site they are.

Martijn Pieters