> I need to have source code readable on the filesystem independent of a
> Zope server, so that I can do things like CVS them, use any editor
> on them, grep them, etc. It seems that my only choice is to write
> products in Python itself, instead of using the web interface of Zope,
> which is one of the cool features of Zope

I just came accross a wintel utility ($) called webdrive
(http://www.webdrive.com) that could answer some of your needs like
grepping or using your editor of choice. It mounts an FTP/WebDAV server as
a drive in windows explorer. You can then edit the files with your tools,
etc. It would be of very limited use with CVS though. They have a 20-day
trial if you want to have a go at it.