My configuration:
1. The key is to use INSTANCE_HOME , ex. set it to be /home/zope
2. install products in
    /home/zope/Products, /home/zope/import
3. untar your zope tar ball in /usr/local/, ex. Zope-2.3.0-src
4. make a symbolic link for zope, ex
   $cd /usr/local
   $ln -s Zope-2.3.0-src zope
   run or if build from source now.
5. copy your "start" script from old version to the new installation.ex.
   $cd /usr/local/zope
   $cp ../Zope-2.2.4-src/start .
(suppose that it contains your INSTANCE_HOME setting)
6. start your new installation

This works for ZPattern, ZEO.....

Hope it helps.

Iap, Singuan