I have no explanation whatsoever, but I removed the dtml-let and it's
working now.  Sigh...

This leads me to a related question, however.  I realized the DTML method
call from the Python Script included 'container' as the first parameter (as
shown below).  I did this so that the DTML method could find another method
in the same Folder.  Without it, it fails with a NameError.  I realized that
I don't understand how Python Scripts can/should call DTML methods.  That
is, are there magical parameters?  Why does the following 'container'
parameter work?

  msg = container.orderMessage(container, num=num, SESSION=SESSION)

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.