*grin*
true enough.

at its simplest level, I've been trying to just import xmlrpclib and use it
normally in scripts.  I used my __init__.py to allow_module('xmlrpclib'),
which has stopped it from throwing security errors.  however, when I
actually run a test script, I get the following:

Error Type: Fault
Error Value: <Fault 1: 'exceptions.Exception:method
"echo.__roles__.__contains__" is not supported'>

error_log has this traceback:
Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 343, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.PythonScripts.PythonScript, line 323, in _exec
  Module None, line 5, in testXRPC
   - <PythonScript at /pro4/testXRPC>
   - Line 5
  Module xmlrpclib, line 1029, in __call__
  Module xmlrpclib, line 1316, in __request
  Module xmlrpclib, line 1080, in request
  Module xmlrpclib, line 1219, in _parse_response
  Module xmlrpclib, line 742, in close
Fault: <Fault 1: 'exceptions.Exception:method "echo.__roles__.__contains__"
is not supported'>

I can watch the "POST /RPC2" messages increment on my xml-rpc server, so I
know the message is getting through.  but the xmlrpc server isn't built with
Zope in mind, so "__roles__.__contains__" makes it cough a Fault back at me.

the code I have in the python script is as simple as:

<code>
import xmlrpclib
server = xmlrpclib.ServerProxy("http://localhost:9999";)
server.echo('this is a test')
</code>

echo just sends the recieved string back.  it works from command line, but
that's not surprising...  I could be wrong about where or how it's failing,
but the traceback looks like the message is getting there, and returning
with the "echo" method having been wrapped in a zope security check, thus
faulting at the server...

Thanks for any help...  this list is the best I've participated in.  You
guys are awesome.