Why?

Because one of the main tricks of ExtFile is the ability to have files and images served statically by Apache, right out of the repository. Apache determines the mime type to serve from the file extension, ergo ExtFile has to make sure there is one.

How?

from mimetypes import guess_extension
ext = guess_extension(self.content_type)

If this yields the wrong result perhaps your system's mimetypes table is messed up? I must admit my use case is images for the most part, and they work just fine.

If this does not do what you want poke around a bit in Config.py. You can change almost every aspect of ExtFile's repository handling.

hth,
Stefan