ken wood wrote:

I appreciate all the great tips on the cionfiguration issue. But my main issue is about infrastructure:
Which hardware and / or operating systems can be used for a Zope/Zeo system.

OS: pretty much any Unixish OS, though on anything but Linux, BSD, and Mac OS X (and maybe Solaris) you may run into some small problems. Also Windows.

Hardware: anything with enough juice that can run your OS. Not very specific, I know, but it all depends on the performance you need. Less than .5 hits/sec and pretty much anything that'll load Zope will work.

In particular, can I run a Zope instance on my Win32 server and have a Zeo Server/Clients on my Linux server?

Sure. Why not?

If I use all the same versions (Python, Zope and Plone and Products) can I use a multi-OS infratructure?

Almost certainly. There are a few OS-specific Products, though, but that only matters on the ZEO client (except for storages, which only matter on the ZEO server.)

You don't even have to match versions, save for sanity. ZEO is not a tightly-coupled communications protocol. Consider:

  Python 2.3.4
  Zope 2.7.5
  ZEO client - SomeProduct 1.1

  Python 2.3.3
  Zope 2.7.3
  ZEO server - no products
  ZEO client - SomeProduct 1.0
    ZEO command line client, for debugging

This would work fine. All three ZEO clients would have the same data (that from the ZEO server), even with different software.

Zope maillist -
** No cross posts or HTML encoding! **