You said you set the variable through:

<dtml-call "REQUEST.SESSION.set('undergradProjectsDirected', [ ])">

You wrote that this does not work:

<dtml-call "(REQUEST.SESSION.get('undergraduateProjectsDirected')).append([student_name, description])">

Of course it does not work because in both cases the names of the session vars are completely different..
so why should this work?

-aj