I have recently upgraded the server (see previous message about my current box) and that definitely has had a positive effect. I've also been tweaking the caches, to get the most out of what I have. The instances of these errors rearing their ugly heads are definitely down, but 10% error rate on 1,000 registrations per month still means a lot of me registering members manually.

I'll explore the member registration process on the Plone list. Thanks for all your help here.