I've decided to stick with DTML for the time being since I can write and test my sql as sql and stick with my ZPT skills. I realize the DB API is also nice but the advantage of writing as DTML is that if you had to go back to plain sql if needed and you are not tied to your python code. Portability is important since you never know what the future brings and it is simpler to change interfaces than work out all your sql all over again on a larger app.

I have looked at Five and Zope3 and I will likely wait for a few releases of 2.8 before jumping in on production sites but will put it on a development server to learn and experiment.