On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:20:22PM +0100, David Given wrote:
| Does anyone know what the timescale is for Zope 3 packages being put together
| for Debian?

This is unforeseeable without someone stepping up to do the work.

| I have a project I'd like to work on, and I suspect that Zope 3
| is a better bet than Zope 2

It is, IMO.

| --- but Zope 3's not out yet

I'm not even sure of the quality of the zope 2 package in debian.  A
couple developers recently started taking over the packages and fixing
them up.  I'm sure their doing a good job (and I hope they keep it
up), but I don't know how close to "done" they are (ie things may
change or be reorganized, or you might deviate sufficiently that it
would be easier to work from the zope.org source).

| Is it worth waiting
| or should I just go for Zope 2?

Don't wait, unless you're the one to do the packaging work.

| (No, I don't want to install Zope 3 manually. It's sufficiently large and
| sufficiently complex that it'd be a dependency nightmare.)

As Andreas pointed out, it is really quite simple and not a nightmare.
Furthermore, if you want to have some help from the packaging system,
create a dummy package using 'equivs' to depend on the system
components your z3 application will need.

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and
prepare a place for you, I will come and take you to be with me that you
also may be where I am.
        John 14:2-3
www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]