I spoke too soon. I don't think it's Zope error on that type mismatch (or if it is one, it's not that one I thought). It still happens if there are multiple roles defined. As long as it hits the code adding the non-existing Owner role* the start-up croaks. So either something about Ape is causing the type mis-match or the Zope code has a bug and just usually doesn't hit that branch (which is possible, as I suspect most people don't manage to delete the Owner user). I don't know python, very well, so I don't have much of an idea. I tried changing the syntax on the ('Owner',) a couple different ways to get around the type mis-match, and then I got things started, but without any of the default users.

Now it seems even more like there is an Ape bug involved (or at least a bug in getting it working on the root). Whenever I save the security tab on the root folder, it rewrites the .properties file, without the default roles defined, which puts Zope in an unstartable place. But then if I tweak Zope to make it start the default roles aren't defined. It seems I need to explicitly define those roles in the root .properties, but even if I do that manually then I can never touch the security tab (not sure if changing any other property on root causes the same problem).

Tim

* Since the traceback isn't in this set of replies, heres the pertinent code: File "/usr/lib/zope-2.7.2/lib/python/OFS/Application.py", line 457, in install_required_roles
   app.__ac_roles__=app.__ac_roles__ + ('Owner',)
TypeError: can only concatenate list (not "tuple") to list

Tim Connor wrote:

Thanks Dennis,

Between your and Shane's reply, I got it fixed:

I just raised an error with the value of app.__ac_roles__, at that point in lib/python/OFS/Application.py and determined that ONLY the role I had added was being created. So going in and manually adding those starting default roles to the .properties file fixed it (running it from the console 2 days ago sure would have saved me some sleep :/). I have no idea if that is a problem with how I moved an existing project into a root install of Ape, or if it is a more generic one, but on my set-up Ape definitely only puts things in that [security] section of the .properties files when you make a change. (For example, just hitting save on the Security tab adds all those per role settings, but not the roles themselves). On everything aside from root that works better, but obviously if you ever get to the point I was at where there is only one role defined on start-up, it kill Zope, badly.

Technically that might be a Zope error also - if there is only one role, it hits a type mismatch. But people shouldn't ever be getting there anyways, I suppose.

Tim

Dennis Allison wrote:

Tim,
You may want to run Zope in debug mode-- bin/runzope should do it.
Also, be sure you have the event.log configured and enable.    -d