On Jun 22, 2005, at 1:25 PM, Jonathan wrote:

Set up your web page so that it has two frames: the main frame (visable) invokes the long running zope script;  and a secondary (hidden) frame uses a _javascript_ routine (running on a timer) which queries a no-op zope script. This should stop your browser from timing out.

Ugly, but it should work.

I don't think it would. Those two frames would or could be two separate requests. Starting the no-op script is going to have no effect on the entirely separate long running script.

When I said "would or could", it is because the exact behavior may depend on circumstances but the end result is the same. If Ralph is truly seeing HTTP 1.0 requests, then of course each connection would be independent and the completion of one request isn't going to reset the timeout for the other. In HTTP 1.1, you can combine multiple requests into a single socket connection, but I still don't think it would help. The way I've seen most browsers implement HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, A connection opened for an initial user request (when the user clicks  a link or types a new address into the menu bar.) it send requests for the subordinate elements (the "src=""no-op" request will not be responded to.