Super, that solved the problem. I had googled and couldn't find an example of mhi. Only the api docs which didn't say very much about using it in a form. I guess it should have occurred to me to use structure if the output is html. Problem was that I hadn't actually seen an example of the output of this function anywhere - so not quite sure if I had to make an input tag myself and the function just filled the attributes or what. Now I know.

I had a good laugh at what I had written afterwards, go figure a hidden field that will not appear, hmm... what could be wrong with that - except maybe too much time at a computer :-)

Sorry Andreas on the small piece of zpt I provided, there is much more to the form but thought what I provided would illustrate what I was trying to do.

Many thanks.