Adamo, Steven wrote:
My apologies if this is easily found in the mail-list archives (I found
no easy way to search that wealth of information).

Ah, so Google is blocked by your corporate firewall? ;-)

I feel silly asking this collective about such a simple question,

And rightly you should, since this list is neither centered around Plone nor CMF. Try using Google from home and find the lists for these specific products ;-)

for the life of me, I'm completely stumped.  I have implemented a Plone
2.x site for our public website, and have completely replaced all the
standard Plone skin.

Surely that must have meant you read the code as you replaced it? ;-)

However, the breadcrumb trail will only display "you are here: home".  I
simply cannot figure out what I haven't included (or what I "killed"
when I created my new skin) that will make the breadcrumb pick up the
new folder (you are here: home > company).

try looking for in a script or two, I can't promise that Plone hasn't bastardised it, but it's what the CMF used to use to calculate breadcrumbs...