Lennart Regebro wrote:
This bugged me, so I had a dig, and just discovered this cool monkey
patch, to be inserted in any module that gets imported before an
exception is raised:

So, could this be in the unit test module itself, for example?

Well, like I said, I'm gonna roll up a load of these type patches into a little product and release it :-) (the benefits of this product would only be missed if an error occurred before it was imported, and the benefits aren't likely to be very beneficial at that stage ;-)

Ever noticed how it's near impossible to figure out what actually
causes an error when you run functional tests? Can you fix that too?
:-)

Depends what you mean by "functional tests"!

I used to do this in all my functional test cases:

    def getTraceback(self, response):
        return getattr(response._response, '_text_traceback', None)

    def assertResponse(self, response, status, message=''):
        if not response.getStatus() == status:
            tb = self.getTraceback(response)
            if tb is not None:
                raise self.failureException, tb
            else:
                raise ValueError, "Response had status %s, expected %s. %s" % (
                    response.getStatus(), status, message)

Hmm, if something failed, I'd just consult the event log, which I always copy all errors to.

And then end all my tests with:
        self.assertResponse(response, 200)

Sounds good, but we use Zelenium ;-)

And that _used_ to print out any exception that had occurred, but in
newer version of Zope this never happens. There sinmply never is and
_text_exception on the response anymore. Any ideas on how to get a
useable exception report on unit tests?

Ugh? on unit tests? my patch works exactly as I want on unit tests. What, specifically, are you referring to?

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk