I use the following template often. When using a page template for my MAIN page, I access the error and message vars with:

How would I access them when I use a dtml-method for my MAIN page?
<dtml-var error> and <dtml-var message> don't seem to work.

Python Script - index_html:

# Import a standard function, and get the HTML request and response objects.
from Products.PythonScripts.standard import html_quote
request = container.REQUEST
RESPONSE =  request.RESPONSE

error=''
message=''

if not request.has_key('next_state'):
  return container['MAIN'](context, request, error=error, message=message)

elif  request.get('next_state') == 'Do Something':
  try:
    doSomething()
    message = message + 'We did something'
  except:
    error = error + 'Error in doSomething()'

elif  request.get('next_state') == 'Do Something Else':
  try:
    doSomethingElse()
    message = message + 'We did something else'
  except:
    error = error + 'Error in doSomethingElse()'

return container['MAIN'](context, request, error=error, message=message)