I don't get a traceback, i just get error and message back as empty strings; their initiallized value.

very strange.

Peter Bengtsson wrote:
On 7/19/05, Erik Myllymaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I use the following template often. When using a page template for my MAIN page,
I access the error and message vars with:

How would I access them when I use a dtml-method for my MAIN page?
<dtml-var error> and <dtml-var message> don't seem to work.

That _should_ work. In DTML, I think when you ask for something it does a options,
REQUEST, context, acquisition context lookup all in one loop. In TAL
you can't be lazy :( and you have to specify exactly where you expect
it to come from.

Bare in mind that keyword arguments only span across ONE template
where as variables in REQUEST span across ALL templates.

Doublecheck your template usage and/or send us your traceback.

Python Script - index_html:

# Import a standard function, and get the HTML request and response objects.
from Products.PythonScripts.standard import html_quote
request = container.REQUEST
RESPONSE =  request.RESPONSE

error=''
message=''

if not request.has_key('next_state'):
  return container['MAIN'](context, request, error=error, message=message)

elif  request.get('next_state') == 'Do Something':
  try:
    doSomething()
    message = message + 'We did something'
  except:
    error = error + 'Error in doSomething()'

elif  request.get('next_state') == 'Do Something Else':
  try:
    doSomethingElse()
    message = message + 'We did something else'
  except:
    error = error + 'Error in doSomethingElse()'

return container['MAIN'](context, request, error=error, message=message)