Hi Peter. Thanks for your reply. I think I am getting closer with this but still not quite right. It appears I am calling Iterator right, because it gets an Iterator instance and now getting number 1
but that doesn't tell me much.

                .. html form contents
                   .. a field
                   <input tal:attributes="tabindex/next ...
                 ... another field

is giving tabindex="1" all the way through my forms. I thought next meant next, meaning you are asking the iterator for the next value. What am I missing?