Title: zserver blocking behavior with a slow request

On a production Zope (2.7.6) running behind apache and connected to an Oracle database,  I'm finding that once a user requests a page which runs a particularly slow sql (say up to 5 minutes), any other subsequent requests seem to take the hit as well, and return very slowly.

I have 8 zserver threads and a ZODB pool size of 10.  I'm fairly certain I'm not maxing these out.  So is this blocking effect just expected behavior for zope?  One point of note is that the requests passed from apache all bear the remote ip of  Could zserver be throttling the incoming requests due to their identical REMOTE_IP (or some other apache configuration detail)?  Is there anything else I should investigate?

OH btw, I am using my own connection pool and managing db interface / transactions manually, so ZSQL should not be considered a culprit.  Furthermore I'm watching the connections/pool themselves and they are not maxed either.

Thanks for any help.