On Aug 9, 2005, at 7:01 AM, Sascha Ottolski wrote:

What we've seen so far: we used to set the cache-size to 250 MB; and every know and than we have to observe that after a restart of a client a cache verification is necessary (while not always obvious, why this happened), which often takes "forever" (that is, 10 to 20 minutes are possible). And that during such a verification, the whole system seems to be down (in the sense that delivery of pages is slow as hell :-(). I think that in such a case simply deleting the cache file and starting with a fresh one is way
faster, but have no hard numbers to prove that feeling.

In Zope 2.6, we wound up turning off persistent cache files. Having things be a little bit slow on one client while the cache filled up was preferable to the systemwide torture the re-verification of a cache file. Zope 2.7 and higher have a shortcut to cache verification, which can be adjusted with the "invalidation-queue- size" parameter.

Unfortunately, there are times where the ZEO client will decide to do a re-verification of a transient cache file (I think due to unexpected runtime exceptions) The best we've found to do is to monitor the health of the clients and the servers and when they all get simultaneously busy, find the client re-verifying and restart it.