Hi Nicholas. You want to put your images, templates, script pythons etc that you want to be available in a skin folder for your product. Then you make skin folder a DirectoryView as part of your product development and install so that the DirectoryView is installed with portal skins. Once you have a successful install, you can verify that your skin folder in the appropriate skin paths you want by using the Properties tab in portal skins tool. Your images, templates and scripts - whatever you have included in the skin are now available globally to your application. All you have to do is reference the image or object by its id to get a handle on it. As far as images, when you use an image in a zpt, you can look at the source and the full url is made.

Here is a link to a product that illustrates how to do this for ExampleFileSystemSkin product :
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55262&package_id=99640

With stylesheets, this is dtml. You can look at the zpt stylesheets in CMF in its skin folder to get the idea of how to use the portal_url or properties from a properties sheet to create your css. Generally, you would use portal_url in conjunction with the image to give you the full image path the css that is rendered.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David