Questions:
------------
1) Am I without hope of ever running the database under Linux again?
2) What is the reason that the database goes from Linux -> Windows OK
but not in the other direction?
3) MOST IMPORTANT:
Is there a technique I can use to tweak the database file or recover
it so that it is Linux-friendly?

My guess would be that the permissions have got screwed up when you copied the Data.fs back.

If you post a proper traceback from event.log showing exactly what the error is then we should be able to give you better help with this.

Logicalware Ltd
Stuart House, Eskmills, Musselburgh, EH21 7PQ, UK
Tel: +44(0)131 273 5130 http://www.logicalware.com