michael nt milne wrote at 2005-9-2 09:13 -0400:
>I am setting up sites using Plone and am concerned to read some of the
>comments on it. Is it really that bad performance wise?

No, it is not.

It is just that the CMF is unable to fix a year long bug
which affects Windows only when Zope is run in debug mode:

      then each access to a "filesystem directory view" triggers
      a hierarchical file system scan.

      The result is a slowdown by several orders of magnitude.

The problem disappears when you either:

  *  do not run on Windows

  *  turn off "debug mode"

  *  fix the silly bug

Of course, a Plone site is not as fast as a static one.
But, I hope, you expect this...