On 8 Sep 2005, at 08:39, Mikko Koivunen wrote:
opensocket
    sock.bind(tempname)
  File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
This is annoying because I would want to put zeoctl in init.d and use it
with service/chkconfig. Zope 2.7.6, Python 2.3.5, running on RHEL4.

Have you checked all file permissions to ensure that the user running Zope can use them? My guess would be that you broke permissions by running as root, which simply is not a good thing to do. Run Zope under a normal user account, and change file ownership to that user. Then don't put zeoctl into init.d, write a small wrapper around it that uses zeoctl.

Here is what I use in init.d on my CentOS box, notice how you can change the user account used for starting up a service by passing "-- user FOO" to the daemon helper:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------
#!/bin/sh
# Startup script for Zope client

# chkconfig: 2345 93 03
# inspired by chrism 01/10/2001

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

instance="/path/to/InstanceHome"
zopectl="$instance/bin/zopectl"

[ -f $zopectl ] || exit 0

prog="Zope"

start() {
    echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
    daemon --user zope $zopectl start
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
    return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
    echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
    $zopectl stop
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
    return $RETVAL
}

case "$1" in
    start)
        start
        ;;

    stop)
        stop
        ;;

    restart)
        $zopectl restart
        ;;

    logtail)
        $zopectl logtail
        ;;
    rotate)
        $zopectl logreopen
        ;;
    *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|logtail|rotate}"
        exit 1

esac

##exit $RETVAL