Can someone please confirm that kupu 1.3 works fine under zope2?

I have just installed the 1.3 tarball but I get un error in kupumacros at the following line:

<metal:slot define-slot="bootstrap-editor">

After fixing the illegal name the editor get displayed, but my test doc is not editable. If i try to edit it the kupu debug log shows the messages:
11:32:1 - Link tool initialized
11:32:1 - Image tool initialized
11:32:1 - Table tool initialized
11:32:1 - Source edit tool initialized
11:32:10 - Editor not initialized yet!

Actually, uUpon inspection of the sources, it appears that the function initialize defined in KupuEditor does not get called at all.

Am I missing something obvious?