On 9/22/05, Robert Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 9/21/05, Javier Godinez < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am trying to decide how to go about building site where users can signup for an account by confirming their email address. They will also have profiles and a rating system.

If anyone can direct me where to start, I will really appreciate it, the tutorials where really basic and didnt get into the details of sending emails or how to keep a user database with encrypted passwords to authenticate users.

Take a look at the CMF or CMF-based products like Plone (http://plone.org)  or CPS ( http://www.cps-project.org/). CMF is linked directly from the main Zope.org site. Included is membership signup, you can encrypt passwords in the Zope ZODB database by using the supplied acl_users folder or use any of a variety of user datastores. They all provide a lot more than just membership signup and form-based logon.

Non-modified CMF / Plone etc do have member signup and member profiles, but not member confirmation or the concept of a member requiring higher approval before their registration becomes a 'real' member. I believe the CMFMember product provides this, but I've never tried it and wrote my own solutions long ago. I don't know about a rating system product.

Have you looked at the Plone how-to's? They often are helpful even if you aren't specifically building a Plone site.

Good luck,

I will take a look at Plone, thank you so much, Javier!