> I tried modifying paths to 'zope instance home' in
> bin/runzope, bin/runzope.bat and etc/zope.conf.

Note that runzope.bat is only relevant on windows, and
runzip is only relevant on unix/linux/OSX.

If you're on *nix, you also need to modify bin/zopectl if you use it.

Also check the paths to all the other defined variables.

> **Is the old zope instance home _path_ burned into a binary
> somewhere that cannot be changed??**

It should not be.

> e.g. Does Data.fs depend on old path somehow??

There used to be problems with skin directories keeping old paths, but
that may be fixed. See http://zopelabs.com/cookbook/1021216110
I have not had any such problems in a long time, but I'm not sure
if that's because it's fixed or because I haven't tried to break it :)