On 27 Sep 2005, at 11:17, bruno modulix wrote:
A normal pattern to use here would be to have one central user folder
(e.g. at the root) and work with local roles in the sub-portals instead
of having several user folders.

I know, but I don't think it will possible here (this is an euphemism).
The UserFolder is a LDAPUserGroupsFolder, users data are stored in a
LDAP directory, with one branch for each CPS instance, and some user
data and schema varying from one branch to another. We don't have the
possibility to change this (it's part of a bigger system), and we don't
have the time to rewrite a custom LDAPUserFolder that could accomodate
this LDAP schema (this project was already very late when we took on it and we have a *very* tight deadline - I hate this situation, but I have to deal with it...). Any robust solution, as hackish as it may be, will
be just fine, as long as we deliver on time.

No idea what "LDAPUserGroupsFolder" is or what it does, but for the standard LDAPUserFolder product you would instantiate a LDAPUserSatellite object in the subportals that would be configured to look up LDAP groups in specific DIT branches and convert them to user roles. The "central" user folder would not hand out any roles itself, it's only for authentication purposes in this setup.

And no, this has nothing to do with group memberships as defined by whatever group-supporting user folders you use.