Dear Chris,

This is not the only answer, but I think its a good one. If you take care to
use the absolute_url() function to generate URLs you can easily use a
standalone web search tool like htdig, running under Apache,  to spider all of
your visble content, and provide unified search results across any number of
hosts or even domains. Its a hack, but it has some advantages - like being
super easy to set up, and only showing linked, 'viewable-by-Anonymous users'
content by default.