Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
Reportedly last updated 2001-08-19, is SAE really so mature that it has
not subsequently needed updates or merited a merge into Zope's own VHM?

Use the one that ships with Zope, it's likely to be better maintained...

I need to map the incoming URL "http://(*.)*" to a Plone
instance at "http://localhost:8080/foo/*"; , and later change the
inbound mapping to "http://(*.)*" after customer acceptance.

Are you front ending with Apache?
If not, you should be...

I'm guessing that this is the most vanilla virtual hosting requirement
possible, and I want to use the simplest configuration to accomplish it.
If the old SEH 2.1.0 is the recommended tool with Zope-2.8.1, I'm sure the
existing docs will be enough to figure it out. Thanks.

There are plenty of examples of how to do this using the normal stuff that ships with Zope...