On 5 Oct 2005, at 20:57, Tim Peters wrote:

[Jens Vagelpohl]

Well, the question was actually "What is the maximum size of this
file and/or maximum object ID? => just how many objects can the zodb
hold?". There is only a theoretical limit that has to do with the
largest index key for the ZODB index I believe, and that is some
ludicrously high number that no one has ever reached.

If you're using FileStorage, a technical detail in the implementation
of the FileStorage index limits the maximum file offset that can be
used to 2**48-1, or about 281 terabytes.  Object IDs are effectively
64-bit integers (masquerading as 8-byte strings).

If that's not falling in the "ludicrous" category, I don't know what is ;) I suppose we'll all be safe for a while.