On 10/7/05, Dennis Allison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Depends upon what you want to do and how much access  you have.  For
debugging purposes I often use an external procedure

def debugWindow( data ):
  fd = open('/tmp/debugWindow",'a')
  fd.write( str(data))

and look at the output with

  tail -f /tmp/debugWindow

Or, you can use the same approach to write to syslog using the Python
logging module

Or you can piggyback into the Zope logging mechanism--see the sources for
that exercise.

I find the external procedure approach to be useful in its simplicity
OK -- thanks to those that replied (many with a similar solution).
I do have access to the server (Win2000  in my case) so I can pretty well do anything I want.
It comes back now -- I did something like that but then called it through a gateway Python script that allowed me to turn off all logging in one spot easily (by modifying the script) in case I wanted to leave the debug statements there temporarily and not incur the expense of a huge log file.