Rob, Tres,
Thanks a lot for your helpful responses. I take Tres's point of the difficulty of making templates that work for the different interests of designers and programmers, and that migration headaches are often a consequence of this. Hadn't thought of it like that before. Also its good to hear that so much has been addressed in Zope 3 to make things modular. I will take more of a look at the Zope 3 book. I've not yet had the opportunity to go to any conferences and it is hard to know just how much has been addressed already and what problems are already being solved. One can easily live in ignorance and getting replies like this is very helpful. BTW Both Chris and I come from the UK where complaining about things is a national sport so please no-one take offence. ;-)
Nick